DIY paper snowflake decorations | How About Orange

December 21, 2011

DIY paper snowflake decorations

Somehow my gift wrapping session turned into a snowflake cutting session. I wanted to try making some snowflakes that look a little more 3D than the usual version. These are made with computer paper, a stapler, double-sided tape, and a scissors.

If you've got standard staples that are 1/2" wide, accordian-fold a sheet of computer paper so that the pleats are 8 1/2" wide by about 3/4". If you get to the end of the sheet and have a little extra paper left over, trim it off.

Staple the folded paper as close to the center of the stack as your stapler will reach. Fold the stack in half at the staple and cut off any excess paper from the long side. The staple should now be in the center.

Unless you're using extra thin paper or you have super-human strength, you won't be able to cut through all the layers of paper when the stack is folded in half. So unfold the stack and cut a snowflake pattern out of one half, then repeat for the other half, duplicating your design.

Pull open the accordian folds and join two adjacent ends with double-sided tape, forming a semicircle.

Repeat the process to make the other half of the snowflake decoration, cutting the same design from a second piece of folded paper. Join the two halves together with more tape.

Try making smaller snowflakes from a single piece of paper—put the staple closer to one end of the folded stack and cut more off the other end.

28 comments:

Grandma G said...

Oooohh.... so pretty!!

Sounds like that's the only kind of snowflakes we're gonna see for Christmas.

Mum

Jessica Jones said...

Hmm, don't you think this post would look better if the pictures were orange? I laid those snowflakes on pink paper when I took the pictures cuz I'm out of orange. I think I need to color them in Photoshop. Yes. I'm going to do it.

Grandma G said...

NO!! Turquoise!!!

Mum

Jessica Jones said...

Tough luck. I done it.

Grandma G said...

Not orange. It's coral. But it goes with your header. And beats pink. ;)

Mum

Jessica Jones said...

Yep, I went for coral. I'll try to give you some turquoise next time.

Grandma G said...

Aw, thanks. Now don't you have other things you should be doing?

Mum

liz @ bon temps beignet said...

Fun! I love the 3D look. We made some 2D flakes to hang in our front window.....

http://bontempsbeignet.blogspot.com/2011/11/faux-sneaux-flakes.html

Bubble My Licorice said...

this is an amazing idea
I'm totally gona make THIS1

Anonymous said...

Pretty. I've always thought it amazing on how real snow flakes always have six points and no two are ever alike.

Anonymous said...

What a fun twist on paper snowflakes!

hi-d said...

Very pretty...and love the dialogue between your Mom and you. :)

Jennifer Ressmann said...

oh, my! those are lovely! I have to make some. It's been a while. Maybe I'll include some in my holiday thank you cards to share with others! :)

LiEr said...

Lovely! I pinned it. Although I pin everything these days. And I'm with Grandma G on the snowlessness this Christmas - we might have to make about a million of these this Christmas Eve if we want anything close to a white Christmas. Have a lovely brown Christmas, Jess!

Rose Clearfield said...

Really fun! Thanks for sharing.

Anne-Marie said...

Super cute! We just decorated the office with a winter theme, I wish I would've seen this tutorial before then! =)

Catie said...

These are great! Your blog is absolutely one of my FAVES!! I'm so inspired by your posts and of course, your original designs!!! :) Have a merry Christmas and God bless!

Deanna @ TheChangingHouse said...

Those turned out so nicely!

Mands said...

They are so stunning... thanks for sharing such easy to follow steps. We don't have snow in South Africa so we can make for our tree. *Grin*
Merry Christmas ~ Mands

mel m. m. mccarthy said...

Fabulous idea!

Anonymous said...

Perfect! I finally can make my own snowflake. Thx.

Chiara said...

So cute! Happy new year! Chiara

Anonymous said...

These are great! Thanks for sharing. I'll be making these now for next Christmas!

Unknown said...

Very cool snowflakes!

Oltreverso said...

Si cute! Thanks for sharing!
Paola

Anonymous said...

What fun these are - thank-you for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gravy! You are my new favorite website! Found you on Pinterest! (wink) Thank you for your amazing tutorials! LOVE! ~Mary B

Anna said...

How fun! The last time I tied making snowflakes was in my classroom with 10 young adults with profound disabilities. Armed with dull scissors we folded, snipped, ripped, and bloomed some very lovely and somehow lopsided, snowflakes to grace our windows.
I think I'll give these a try at home!